A bowl of hot rice pudding is like a comforting hug on a dark, gloomy day. It’s fragrant, creamy but not too rich, subtly sweet, and easily adaptable to your mood, whether you feel like a sprinkling of cinnamon or some plump, chewy raisins. And it’s truly one of the easiest puddings you’ll ever make, starting with a short list of ingredients to cooking essentials and endless ways to personalize it. Here’s how to make the easiest rice pudding, one that you’ll use over and over again.
What is rice pudding?
Rice pudding is simply rice cooked in sweetened milk. During cooking, the rice releases starch which thickens the milk and suspends the delicate grains of the rice, contributing to its creamy texture. You can start with raw or cooked rice, which is great if you have some leftovers you want to use. This recipe provides guidance on both.
Basic ingredients of rice pudding
Here are the five main ingredients for making rice pudding:
- Rice: You can use raw long-grain or short-grain white rice, but not raw brown rice, which needs more cooking liquid than white rice. However, if you’re starting with cooked rice, white or brown can be used. Jasmine rice has a beautiful floral flavor, and it’s my rice pudding rice of choice.
- Milk: Any type of milk will work, although the higher the percentage of fat, the creamier the results. Do you want to switch to lactose-free or vegan products? Use Unsweetened Dairy Free Milk: Cashew milk gets an endorsement from one of our editors, and I think oat milk would be wonderful. You can also use canned coconut milk, but be prepared for a strong coconut flavor (or try the thinnest thing that comes in the boxes). Use 4 cups of milk if you start with uncooked rice, 3 cups if you start with cooked rice.
- Sugar: Start with 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and add more at the end if you want it to be sweeter. Puoi giocare con gli zuccheri di canna o i dolcificanti liquidi, ma inizia con qualche cucchiaio e aggiungi altro a piacere.
- Salt:A little salt is all it takes to bring out all the flavors, so don’t skip it.
- Vanilla:You can add vanilla seed paste or half a vanilla seed at the beginning to keep the rice pudding well infused, or add vanilla extract at the end.
Rice pudding can be customized with additives such as ground cinnamon or raisins. Feel free to play with your favorite hot spices or dried fruit.
How to make and serve rice pudding
Cooking rice pudding is as simple as putting all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmering until the rice is very soft and the mixture thickens. Remember to stir it occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn’t scorch. There are some rice pudding recipes that temper in egg yolks for richness, but it’s a fussy step and you run the risk of scrambling the eggs. Instead of making the rice very rich, add a spoonful of unsalted butter at the end – I think this takes it to the next level and my daughter kindly agreed, asking for a few seconds.
Serve rice pudding at whatever temperature you’d like: straight from the pot, warm, or even cold. It thickens when it cools, so dilute it with more milk if necessary to restore the desired consistency.
How to make rice pudding absolutely simpler?
Make 6 to 8 servings, about 4 cups
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time from 20 minutes to 40 minutes
- no grain
- kidney friend
- no fish
- without peanuts
- shellno fish
- no pig
- no nuts
- without eggs
- low sodium content
- no red meat
- non alcoholic
- Calories 18
- Fat 3,5 g (5,3)
- Saturated 1.2 g (5.9%)
- Carbohydrates 26.9 g (9.0%)
- Fiber 4.9 g (19.4)
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 4.3 g (8.7)
- Sodium 11.3 mg (4.8)
- 1 cup
uncooked or long-grain white rice or 3 cups of cooked rice
dairy milk or unsweetened lactose-free milk
granulated sugar, plus more if needed
vanilla seeds or 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
unsalted butter (optional)
Additional options:1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Measuring cups and spoons
Wooden spoon or rubber spatula
Measure the rice and milk. Place 1 cup uncooked or long-grain white rice or 3 cups of cooked rice in a large saucepan. Add 4 cups of milk to uncooked rice, 3 cups of milk to cooked rice.
Add flavorings. Add 1/3 cup of powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. Se stai usando i baccelli di vaniglia, raschia i semi da 1/2 dei baccelli di vaniglia e aggiungi i semi e i baccelli in una casseruola. If you’re using vanilla bean paste, add 1 1/2 tsp. Add any extras.
Boil.Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to prevent the rice from sticking.
Cook until the rice is soft.Reduce the heat to simmer and simmer without a lid, stirring occasionally until the rice is very soft and the mixture begins to thicken, 20 to 22 minutes for uncooked rice, 10 to 12 minutes for cooked rice.
Add the butter and vanilla extract. Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract if using and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter if desired until melted. If necessary, remove the vanilla sticks. Taste and add more sugar to taste.
Serve the rice pudding. The rice pudding will thicken further as it cools. If necessary, dilute with more milk and serve warm or cold.
Notes on the recipe
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Podgrzej na małym ogniu i w razie potrzeby dodaj więcej mleka, aby rozcieńczyć, ponieważ pudding ryżowy gęstnieje, gdy jest zimny.
Classic and creamy rice pudding! Boiled rice with milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and raisins.
Elise founded Simply Recipes in 2003 and ran the site until 2019. She holds a Masters in Food Research from Stanford University.
“Rice pudding is the way God intended us to eat rice,” my father said when I said I was thinking of doing it. Well this worked, it would be rice pudding.
Video: how to make rice pudding
After a little research, I found that there are two basic ways to make rice pudding: baked or cooked.
Then there is my dad’s way of taking cold white rice, adding cream, sugar and cinnamon. Mix and eat. Dad has been making rice pudding this way all his life, but Dad’s method has never appealed to me that much, so cooking or baking should be.
The first recipe I tried called for 3/4 cup of cream for a recipe that only served two people. Oh my! Too rich, I couldn’t eat it. (Have you ever noticed that recipes 20 and older can be a little heavy on cream and butter?) A few changes later I decided to make this recipe using the cooking method. It is especially tasty with raisins.
When we say it’s a nice solution, we really mean it.
There is nothing more relaxing than pudding. As for sweets, this is the simplest of fun, baby food in all possible ways. Whether your fond memories are for commercial snack packs or tubs, homemade boxed versions in either instant or cooked varieties, or legit from-scratch custards, thickened with egg yolks or corn starch, in any flavor under the sun, it’s all nostalgic and delicious delight.
One pudding recipe that many people love but are afraid to make at home is rice pudding. Having to tear the passage of cooked rice, suspended in a creamy pudding, and find a place on the border between sweet and spicy, can be a little tricky. Some are over the counter, others are cooked. Some flow like great risotto, others are so solid you can cut them into squares. And while there’s nothing wrong with examining the rabbit hole of recipes and tests, I’m here to tell you that really satisfying rice pudding is just minutes away, as long as you have a key ingredient.
And make no mistake: this isn’t some whimsical rice pudding. O anche un classico budino di riso con pochi ingrediants extra mescolati per buona misura. This is Rice-pudding-wants-right-Now pudding. No eggs, no mousse, no fuss. Which makes it perfect for quarantine days when you’ve got some leftover rice and don’t really feel like baking another batch of cookies (or banana bread), and something sweet would really help.
How to make the simplest rice pudding in the world
Here’s the basic recipe: For every half cup of cooked rice left, you’ll need half a cup of dairy and two teaspoons of dessert:
- Rice can be white, jasmine, basmati, brown … whatever you have lying around.
- Dairy products can be half milk and half milk, cream (or a combination of these) and even plant milk.
- Desserts can be as simple as granulated sugar, but you can also experiment with brown sugar, honey, maple sugar or syrup and even more exotic things like date syrup or coconut sugar.
- A pinch of salt, a little vanilla or a little spice like cinnamon or nutmeg are nice.
The steps couldn’t be simpler:
1. Unire tutti gli ingrediants in una piccola casseruola e portare a bollore.
2. Coprire, ridurre il fuoco e cuocere per circa 6-9 minuti fino a quando il liquido non viene assorbito dal riso e ha una consistenza simile a un pudding. (If you like it softer, you can add more dairy; if you like it thicker, keep cooking.)
Fun variations on the simplest rice pudding in the world
Experiment with different combinations and toppings.
- Plain white rice with coconut milk and coconut sugar (with the addition of coconut flakes) creates a rice pudding that tastes like the inside of a Mounds bar and is very happy with the dark chocolate shaved on top.
- Brown rice cooked with whole milk and date syrup can be garnished with granola and blueberries for a breakfast rice pudding.
- Half-and-half jasmine rice with sugar and vanilla is clamoring for slices of fresh mango or peach. Plus, you can experiment with the temperature at which you serve: lukewarm, ambient or cold – everything works. Serve without additives or with the addition of lightly whipped cream, chopped toasted nuts, fresh fruit or jam. It’s all good, as they say. But it really is.
Is this the rice pudding you’re likely to make for dinner? Probably not. But it is a rice pudding that is such an easy elevation of leftover rice, you’ll find that you start to make extra for dinner or order a bonus quart when ordering in Asian food, just to have leftovers to make pudding with. Let the comfort begin!
This post may contain related sales links. Please see my disclosure policy.
This creamy, comforting andOld Fashioned Rice pudding the recipe is easy to make on the stove. It’s a cozy, quick-fix snack or dessert that’s perfect for chilly afternoons!
Creamy Homemade Rice pudding
If you’ve never tried rice pudding, you really should. Rice pudding jest tak fajnie podawany na ciepło. It’s full of cozy flavors from the cinnamon and brown sugar! When the weather warms up, rice pudding can be served cold to make it a sweet and refreshing summer delicacy.
Personally, I love the texture the rice gives to this pudding! Slow cooking causes it to swell and become sweeter. The combination of texture and taste is amazing.
I gave the twins some as a snack. Ashton likes sweets and Brooks prefers French fries to sweets every time. Brooks is like his father. But when Ashton took a bite, he immediately said “Mmmmmmm” and repeated it with every bite! I was there with him.
It was so nice to see her reaction! And it confirmed what I knew from the start: this rice pudding is awesome!
You don’t need anything special to make this classic dessert!
- Egg: Not all rice pudding recipes call for an egg, but I recommend it 100%. It adds wealth that is worth it. Plus, it helps thicken the pudding without cooking. Ultimately, this gives the pudding a creamier texture.
- White or Light Brown Sugar:Both are delicious, but the brown sugar adds a really nice flavor, so I prefer to use it.
- Vanilla extract
- Cinnamon powder
- All the milk
- Whipping cream: I always use a combination of whole milk and cream. You can use whole whole milk, but this pudding is supposed to be creamy and the cream really adds a delicious richness.
- Short grain white rice
How to Make Rice pudding
There’s virtually no prep time for this recipe – you just have to combine your ingredients and cook! The pudding collects on the fire in about 30 minutes.
- Combine Egg, Sugar, Vanilla & Cinnamon: In a small bowl, combine the egg, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. To put aside.
- Heat Remaining ingrediants:Place the milk, cream, rice and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer: After cooking, lower the heat and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes. Stir often so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add Rice to Egg Mixture & Whisk:Slowly add about half a cup of the hot rice mixture to the egg mixture.whip quicklyto temper the egg mixture.
- Finish combining until it gets bold: Add the egg mass to the saucepan with the remaining rice mixture. Mix everything and continue to heat over low heat for about 5-10 minutes until it thickens. Don’t cook. It will thicken quickly. Keep in mind that the mixture will continue to thicken as it cools, so you don’t want it to be too thick before you take it off the heat. Touch soup is still good.
- To serve:Remove the pudding from the heat and serve it hot.
Tips for the Best Rice pudding
- Use Short Grain Rice: You want to use short grain rice such as Arborio rice. It’s more starchy than long grain rice, so it helps to thicken the pudding nicely and gives it a better texture.
- Gradually add the rice mixture to the egg mixture:When adding half a cup of rice to the egg mixture bowl, do so slowly and beat continuously to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Don’t let it boil: Once you’re finished combining your mixtures, don’t let the pudding come to a boil. If you do, it’ll curdle. You just have to keep it on low heat until it starts to thicken. Remember that it thickens as it cools.
- Add the raisins: Rice pudding i rodzynki pasują do siebie jak chleb i masło. To make this dish even more classic and flavorful, add some!
Can You Make Rice pudding Ahead?
Though it’s definitely best fresh, you can cook your rice in advance if you’d like to save even more time on this recipe. Let it cool, put it in the refrigerator a day or two ahead of schedule and heat it up before proceeding to the recipe as usual.
How to store leftovers
Store leftover rice pudding in an airtight container. After it has cooled completely, store it in the refrigerator. Rice pudding pozostaje świeży przez 3 dni w lodówce lub 3 miesiące w zamrażarce. If you store it in the freezer, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before eating it or reheating it.
Some people like cold rice pudding, but you can easily reheat leftovers on the stove if needed. Do it over low heat and continue stirring. Add a little bit of milk at a time to thin out the pudding until it’s reached your desired consistency.
Świerk / Ahlam Raffii
|Nutritional guidelines (per serving)|
|Quantity per serving|
|% Daily value *|
|Total fat 4||5|
|Saturated fat 2g||8|
|Cholesterol 99 mg||3|
|Sodium 91 mg||4|
|Całkowity węglowodan 40 g||1|
|Dietary fiber 1g||3|
|Total sugars 27 g|
|Vitamin C 0 mg||2|
|Calcium 180 mg||1|
|Iron 1 mg||7|
|*% Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to your daily diet. 2.000 caloriess al giorno vengono utilizzate per consigli nutrizionali generali.|
If you have a lot of pre-cooked rice, cooking cinnamon-scented rice pudding is a great way to use it. This simple rice pudding recipe is baked in the oven and made with milk, rice, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. It’s decadent and creamy and can be served as a sweet breakfast or dessert. Just mix and heat everything on the stove, then bake for about 20 minutes. The addition of eggs and cooking in the oven turns into a creamy and thick pudding that can be eaten warm and then cold as soon as it comes out of the refrigerator.
This recipe is vegetarian and shimmer but because it calls for both eggs and milk, it’s not vegan. However, for the dairy-free option, you can always replace your milk with any non-dairy milk substitute such as soy milk, almond milk, and even coconut milk.
Rice pudding jest zwykle przygotowywany z resztek ugotowanego białego ryżu, ale możesz użyć dowolnego ryżu, który ci się podoba lub ma resztki (na przykład brązowy lub basmati), z jednym zastrzeżeniem. Don’t use wild rice. It just won’t cook the same way.
Have you ever eaten too much rice cooked in your refrigerator? I definitely do. I’ll make a large batch with good intentions and make a lot of bowls of brown rice for lunch, but a few days later I get tired. It’s at this point, when the rice is sitting in the fridge, quickly drying out, that I kNow what I have to do. I have to make the rice pudding.
Rice foundation: when to use long grains, when to shorten
As for a good risotto, it takes about half an hour of freezing in the oven to make rice pudding from dried rice. But if you start with cooked rice, you will cut the cooking time in half. You can use any cooked rice – brown or white, short grain or long grain – they will all work just fine. You can also use any type of milk: cow or coconut, almond or rice, soy or oat – they’re all game.
You don’t even need a recipe – just add as much cooked rice to the pot as you have, cover with milk (you’ll need roughly equal parts of rice and milk) and stir over medium heat until it boils. When the milk boils, turn the heat down to medium-low and add the sweetener of your choice. You can use white sugar, but for a healthier and tastier option, I like to use honey or maple syrup. Just add some, mix, then taste; keep adding (and trying!) until it’s as sweet as you want. (I like the one just sweetened, with a nice pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness.) Once you have the sugar where you want, add some more flavor: the lemon zest is good, as well as cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg. , vanilla, etc., ginger and even cocoa powder – you can flavor it however you like. Mieszaj i próbuj, dodając więcej mleka, jeśli to konieczne, aż ugotowany ryż rozszerzy się i zmięknie, a mieszanina osiągnie pożądaną konsystencję budyniu, około 1 minut.
You can serve your rice pudding right away or let it cool to room temperature and refrigerate it for a cold breakfast or fruit snack. The pudding can be kept in the refrigerator for about 4 days. But unlike this bowl of cooked rice, it probably won’t last that long.
Posted on April 13, 2020. Last updated February 6, 2021 / By Jessica 85 comments
If you love the house?Rice puddingthen you’ll love this simple cooktop rice pudding recipe – it’s a great way to use leftover cooked rice!
Okay ladies (and gentlemen too), today I’m going to tell you about the cheapest dessert recipe you will ever find. This homemade rice pudding is as easy as it is delicious. We do our budget every month and it seems like last week I ran out of money almost every month and we eat from the pantry. When that happens, sometimes on a weekend, a date or whatever, I’ll try to prepare a surprise to liven up the party!
Easy Rice pudding
I love this recipe because I guarantee that I will always have everything I need close at hand and the whole family loves it, even the most demanding children! If you need a quick and easy rice pudding recipe, look no further, I guarantee you can’t beat this one!
If you like this recipe, you might like our EasyChocolate Rice pudding, che sono i nostri quattro ingrediantssaltine Toffee! Or you can find all our delicious ones here are the recipes for the dessert!
Rice pudding Recipe
In fact, I like this recipe a lot more than store-bought or restaurant-bought varieties! Let’s jump right in by answering some of your most frequently asked questions!
How to Make Rice pudding
Making rice pudding at home is super easy! Bastano quindici minuti e pochi ingrediants! Oh, and did I just mention a pan ?!
Top left– If you are not using leftover rice, cook the rice and add it to a medium-sized pot.
In the upper right corner– Add the milk, sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon and mix to combine.
Lower left – Bring to a boil and stir continuously (to avoid overcooking). Cook for fifteen to twenty minutes until the mixture thickens.
Bottom right – Remove from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. To taste, sprinkle with cinnamon.
Can you make this recipe with boiled rice?
I was shocked at how many people asked me if it was possible to make rice pudding with boiled rice and the answer is an absolute YES! The use of cooked rice eliminates waste by using leftovers and eliminates the precious time that you would slavishly spend on a hot oven!
We usually do this with leftover rice from the previous dinner this week, like our slow cookerTikka Masalaor oursHomemade Fried Rice.
What Kind of Rice is Best?
I usually use plain long grain white rice as I usually keep it handy. With that in mind, I have also used basmati rice, jasmine, arborio and sushi and they all work very well! The only kind I use that I don’t prefer for this recipe is brown rice or wild rice.
Do you eat hot or cold rice pudding?
It is really delicious when served hot or cold! Immediately after cooking, eat some lukewarm. Then the next day we eat the leftovers straight from the fridge!
If you try this recipe and you like it,we would like you to give us a positive rating and review!They mean so much to us!
This Rice pudding is simple to make, uses only six ingredients, and is incredibly luscious and delicious!
Rice pudding is easily one of the best desserts ever, with all the flavors of a rich vanilla ice cream but with more texture.
È il mio modo più computerizzato per dire quello che dice mio marito quando mangia, che è: "Mmm… ha il sapore di un grosso gelato alla vaniglia".
Either way, it has a sweet, rich milky flavor with scented vanilla and each spoonful is creamy but textured with rice.
We go through all the checkpoints to create the best possible version, from scratch.
Because if you’ve ever tried just store-bought rice pudding or you’ve never eaten freshly made rice pudding before, it’s truly amazing.
How to Make the Best Rice pudding:
Use uncooked rice
I’m not a fan of boiled rice puddings becausedo you want the taste of milk and vanilla to fade away?insiderice, not just floating around it.
Cooking uncooked rice provides this texture.
Do not rinse the rice
Inoltre, partendo dal riso crudo, possiamo usarlo non lavato, che aiuta naturalmente ad addensare il pudding.
This is particularly helpful since we aren’t using egg yolks here, keeping the recipe and process very simple.
For this reason I highly recommend using high quality organic rice. I use long beans.
Use organic dairy (makes a HUGE difference)
It is recommended to use organic milk and cream here.
There may very well be some good quality non-organic milk, but I’ve noticed thatorganic milk tastes much more than your typical, cheap and standard milk.
If you are skeptical, buy a carton of each and do a taste test side by side. We’ve even found that when purchasing shredded mozzarella cheese for pizzas, the conventional cheese has no flavor but the organic cheese has sweet and rich pronounced flavors.
In short: make sure the milk and cream you use actually taste like something.
Use a Vanilla Bean (I kNow they’re expensive right Now, but it’s important)
Using real vanilla beans here will give you the best rice pudding ever (and if you can, use grade A [partner] vanilla beans instead of grade B).
The taste of real vanilla beans is unmatched and the flecks of vanilla give the pudding a subtle interest in texture.
I’ve used vanilla paste in the past, but fresh, scraped beans are better.
At the end use a drop of cream to make them juicier
It’s fun to finish off the rice pudding with a little extra richness at the end.
I see commonly used butter, but I think the cream is better.
I find the butter too heavy / greasy while the cream has a juicy fluidity. This makes the rice pudding “milky”.
OK, let’s get to the process!
Step by Step Process for How to Make Rice pudding:
In a saucepan, combine the long-grain rice, scraped vanilla pods, seeds and pods, powdered sugar, and whole milk.
Mix well until the mixture is smooth, then simmer gently over medium heat. The vanilla particles should be scattered after a small whisk:
Cook the rice pudding for about 35 minutes, stirring or whisking every few minutes to prevent sticking, until the rice is soft and the milk well cooked.
You want to regulate the heat on the stove so that it never boils completely but maintains a soft fire. This is usually medium low or medium heat.
When the rice is soft, turn off the heat and add the cream:
Mix the cream until it is evenly distributed:
The mixture is a lot more fluid Now.
I noticed in the recipe box that the amount of cream added could be increased if you wanted a more fluid and milky rice pudding. Just remember that when the rice pudding cools, it will thicken slightly.
Refrigerate the rice pudding for at least 4 hours to cool completely before serving:
Creme Brulee è un altro dei miei dolci preferiti con ingrediants minimi.